Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Beautiful Fall Palettes-Product Review by Makeup Artist Aaron Ellerbrock




Yummy! That is the best word I can use to describe these two palettes I recently picked up. The Kat Von D palette "Ladybird True Romance" is the top one and Urban Decay's "Naked Basics" is the lower one.

Let's start with the Urban Decay. At $27 the price is just about right. I would have preferred to have the shadows a little bigger, but size isn't everything! The payoff of the shadows is what makes this a great deal. I have found lately that with a lot of "luxury" lines I have to work super hard to get any color to show up. With these, you do not need much at all. So even though the shadows are smaller, I will be able to use them for a long time. The other thing about this palette is that they are all flat, no shimmers! I am so excited about this because we are seeing that trend in makeup for the fall. A matte look, but not a flat look. All of the shades in this palette are very wearable ranging from a soft buttermilk color to a rich taupe all the way to a deep grey/black. This is perfect for a quick 5 minute look or you can smoke the eye up for going out!

Next, is the Kat Von D. At $36 it is a bit more expensive than the Urban Decay, however you get 8 shadows (instead of 6) and a beautiful chocolate brown eye liner pencil. The colors in this palette are gorgeous! I especially love the shade, "Cleopatra". It is a warm pumpkin shade and in my research, we are seeing this shade crop up on every runway show at NY Fashion Week. At Sephora, they told me the shade looked amazing on blondes. I however used it on my beautiful brunette model for a recent photo shoot with Richmond Magazine and it blew us all away. The stylist actually wanted me to put more of it on the model as it was sooooo beautiful. With this palette you again get all matte shades and they range from a soft skin-toned pink, to warmer browns, to a deep eggplant and dark chocolate. They glide on like velvet and have a TON of pigment. I love these because often I need a flat shade for a lid that is a little more "mature" and these go on like heaven. I really have not used the pencil, but from playing with it on my hand is very user friendly and easy to apply. It almost feels like silk and it is a long wear pencil!

If you want a quick pick-me-up and want to stay on trend, without having to look too "made up", either of these would be a great choice. I purchased them both at Sephora. I rate the Urban Decay at an 8 and the Kat Von D at an 9. They are both truly spectacular and would be great additions to your makeup wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment