Monday, July 1, 2013

Lips Galore!!-Product Review by Richmond VA Wedding Makeup Artist Aaron Ellerbrock




I know that I recently did a blog on lip colors that stay on, but this seems to be one of the biggest concerns from the majority of my clients. I often hear "nothing stays on", "I just eat it off", "Color fades away", and a plethora of other comments. So I am tirelessly trying long wear lip colors to see what works and what doesn't so that you don't have to!

First in this round is the Revlon Color Stay Ultimate Suede Lip Color. There are seven colors (I believe) including nude, pink, peache and mauve. The price range is $7 to $8. I give the wearability a 7 out of 10. The reason I give a 7 is because the color I tried, Socialite, looked nice when I first put it on, but then seemed to not stay as "true" over time. It did last. I actually forgot I had it on and went to the gym! Luckily I looked in the mirror and saw it. I tried wiping it off and it wouldn't come off. Luckily I had some sanitizing wipes and I got it off that way. As far as the feel, I did not care for it when it was first on. It felt thick and tacky. Not tacky like a real gooey gloss, but tacky like the corners of my lips seemed to "grab" for a bit. That feeling wore off after about 20 or 30 minutes. I did have a glass of water and nothing came off on the glass. I did not put a gloss on to see if that would help with making the product feel a little more comfortable.

Second we have the Covergirl Outlast All Day Lip Color. First, let me point out there are an amazing 41 colors including neutrals, browns, berries, corals, reds, wines, roses, etc. The price range is $7 to $9. As far as wearability, I give it a 8.5. The color seemed to stay more "true" throughout the time I had it on. I purchased Always Rosy as I thought it was a nice neutral pink that someone could use as an everyday color. The brand touts 16 hours of wear and while I can't attest to that, as I took it off after about 4.5 hours, it still looked good when I did remove it. It did not feel too tacky, but almost gave a little tingle when I put on the color. That quickly went away but it did feel a little dry. That is the case with most long-wear products so that is why Covergirl gives you the moisturizing topcoat to put on. This is both a plus and a minus. It is a plus because once I applied that, my lips felt great. It is also good because you can re-apply the top coat when you want a little more shine. The downside is that it is a separate tube so you have to carry two things. This color does not come off whether you drink, eat, or kiss! It really stays put, but I did want to re-apply the top coat two times to keep my lips feeling soft and moist. Oh...PS, I took a shower and when I got out the color was still there!!

Aaron's over-all rating: Revlon Color Stay = 7.5  Covergirl Outlast = 8.5

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment